What is your main objective in blogging? ~ Search Marketing

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

What is your main objective in blogging?

Begin with an end in mind - A cliche that's easier said than done?

This is the second post of what could be a series where I'll share my thoughts on "blogging for profits" (and why I think you should not do, as a newbie). If you've not read it, do check it out so there's some flow.

For almost a month since I started this blog, I've been spending almost all my "working hours" getting myself involved with Web 2.0 stuffs: Blogging, visiting blogs, social networking and trying out some related tools (ya, blogrush huh?).

Gosh, I must confess that it's sending me guilt. I feel really bad about neglecting my usual routine of identifying new affiliate programs, launching new PPC campaigns and related tasks. Otherwise, I would have created a few more profitable PPC income streams on auto-pilot.

So is all these time spent on blogging and such worth it? Seriously, the shear magnitude of "things" to do and learn while at it really do drain up one's attention. Learning curves...

After all, it's one thing to be on the sideline just keeping tab of what people are doing with blogs, and another to really get my hands dirty in it. It just dawn on me how overwhelming it could be for a newbie then! (I consider myself an intermediate to advance online marketer - depending on which business model)

Setting my blog objective

A couple of days ago, I ponder over the above cliche and question myself why I've started blogging. This is by far the only blog that I've contributed the most time, but why? I then decided to nail down my objective which I've just updated in my introduction text, on the side panel beside my picture.

Glancing through all the posts written so far, I think I'm still being congruent with the stated objective:

  1. Done and will continue to do some SEO (search engine optimzation) stuffs, mainly to get a gauge on the amount of effort needed and will compare the effectiveness with paid advertising - for a newbie to get traffic.

  2. Started to be quite active in my "web 2.0" stuffs (blogging. social networking, etc.), again to have a feel on its effectiveness in traffic generation and monetization.

  3. Progressively, I'll also introduce more PPC specific posts, but to cover it objectively in comparison to the above. To address the myth around "why pay for traffic when you can get it free - from seo, social networks, etc. - especially if you're new.

  4. I may also touch base on viral marketing - since I've my share of success with it too, having launched successfully one of the biggest buzz around phone call-back services in Singapore; so much so that the officials from our telecommunication authority call me up personally to "tame" down the campaign.

My end in mind?

Other than to create a "branding" for myself as an expert with paid advertising (for consulting opportunity maybe? *wink*), I like the idea of being a source of "enlightenment" for someone who's still wondering aabout the above means to get traffic (= money).

Oh, by the way, perhaps it may also help to mention that I can afford to persue this somewhat "evangelistic" vision because I've already attained my own financial goal and looking at something more than just the obvious ;)

Now, if you like to follow and see how this blog unfolds, remember to subscribe to it.

So have you ask yourself why you're also blogging?


Add your comment!


( 11 comments )
Anonymous said...

Hi Hans Chee. I suppose I'm blogging for many reasons.

1) To raise the profile of my company.

2) I am always writing anyway.

3) I like to try to help people avoid the business mistakes I have made and build good businesses.

4) It's very addictive and you get to meet lots of great people.

Admin said...

Blog for me is the place to pouring out my mind.

Hans, you are so OKEY for me.
As my thank you for you I had a personal review about your PPC2020 on MySurfingNotes (http://mysurfingnotes.blogspot.com/2007/09/community-of-ppc-advertisers.html).

I hope it is meets your deeper heart.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hans Chee-I blog to helps others to become more eco-friendly through my own personal experiences. In addition I have questions too. I find that it is hard to have a niche in this environment and draw traffic. Any suggestions?

I do find it can get a little discouraging when you want more traffic so you can start a dialogue and you are wondering what is it that they want to read. Wondering if you are staying to your purpose too.

Like Catherine, I have really enjoyed meeting people through all the things that I do. anna www.green-talk.com

Hans Chee said...

Hey all, blogging for a cause, of course!

Guess I just got hung up on the thingy where profit is way up high for some new bloggers.

In most cases, money will/can come with the blog if it's not the main goal by itself.

Catherine & Anna, I see your passion comes strongly with your blogging intention - Great!

Anna, I may be the least qualified person to advise you on blogging...LOL. I've visited your green-talk.com blog and looks like you've a very specific goal! Super greenie you are - built your house with "green" materials, Wow~

Well, about getting traffic to your blog so as to start a dialogue; have u tried joining related forums and generally hang out (online) where all the greenies go to? I almost wanted to suggest paying for targeted PPC traffic too ;)

A sizable portion of blog traffics, imho, should come virally; i.e. readers recommending your blog or mentioning it somewhere else online (forums, blogs, etc). Therefore, investing in some "initial" traffic may help to get the ball rolling?

For my blog (this one), I spent time the "social networking" way for the initial traffic, and lo-and-behold! Look at what MySurfingNotes (http://mysurfingnotes.blogspot.com) did, thanks for having a post about my ppc2020 website Isyaias! BTW, I've left you comments too!

A blog is like a representation of us online. We gotta make it interesting, just like we've to make ourselves interesting enough in real life to attract friends. What kind of friends we attract depends on what content it has. Then to know more friends (traffic), we gotta go out more often and show ourselves, so it's call online social networking. Finally, friends can easily read into our intentions... so if our blog is about making money, they know ;)

Anonymous said...

man you really love blogrush.

Deana E said...

good post!!

Anonymous said...

I agree totally that you have to have aim in mind when you start blogging for your business, otherwise you can end up spending a lot of time for no benefit to your business.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hans, I've started blogging to gain visitors to my "unvisited" site. But when I found out recently that I would be receiving payments from Google, i think it's one thing to consider. Your blog is an insight! I like reading other's blogs, too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's good to know that I am not the only one who feels this way. Although you have already established yourself, I for one am just starting out in this blogging world and have encountered everything you have mentioned.

I have to agree that it is extremely time consuming and for someone like myself who does not know much about the industry I really had to go through a lot of trial and error situations.

In the end, I figured out what I wanted to do; in a nut shell:

Provide a place where people can help each other out and put my writing to use here and there for people who need it.

I am hoping that it will do well.

Thanks for the post.

Good Luck with everything!

- jessalia
the mommie correspondent

markali52 said...

Most blogging is to engage the public in the blog sphere and I run a few blogs some are for marketing online such as for homebase diy online and most would not admit to this others are a view of my life and what I am doing or want to do, I try to keep it real and helpful.

Anonymous said...

This is the right website for anyone who would like to understand this topic.
You know so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually would
want to?HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic that's been written about for many years.

Excellent stuff, just excellent!